Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

Login With Facebook

• Page:

TOPIC: Long-term Effects of Neurofeedback Treatment

Long-term Effects of Neurofeedback Treatment 09 May 2013 00:07 #138

Long-term effects of neurofeedback treatment for ADHD
Posted Aug 5, 2010 by Dr. David Rabiner

Neu­ro­feed­back — also known as EEG Biofeed­back — is an approach for treat­ing ADHD in which indi­vid­u­als are pro­vided real-time feed­back on their brain­wave pat­terns and taught to pro­duce and main­tain pat­terns con­sis­tent with a focused, atten­tive state. This is often done by col­lect­ing brain­wave, i.e., EEG, data from indi­vid­u­als as they focus on stim­uli pre­sented on a com­puter screen. Their abil­ity to con­trol the stim­uli, for exam­ple, keep­ing the ‘smile on a smi­ley face’, is con­tin­gent on main­tain­ing the brain­wave pat­tern being trained.

Neu­ro­feed­back sup­port­ers believe that learn­ing this dur­ing train­ing gen­er­al­izes to real world sit­u­a­tions and results in improved atten­tion and reduced hyperactive/impulsive behav­ior. Although a num­ber of neu­ro­feed­back stud­ies have yielded promis­ing results it remains some­what con­tro­ver­sial with some researchers argu­ing that lim­i­ta­tions of these stud­ies pre­clude firm con­clu­sions about the effec­tive­ness of neu­ro­feed­back from being drawn.

Last year I reviewed a par­tic­u­larly well-conducted study of neu­ro­feed­back treat­ment for ADHD — see my review here. The study was con­ducted in Ger­many and began with 94 chil­dren aged 8 to 12. All had been care­fully diag­nosed with ADHD and over 90% had never received med­ica­tion treat­ment. About 80% were boys.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

The mission of the Coalition Against Overmedicating Our Youth is to help children and adults determine underlying cause of neuro-behavioral conditions by ruling out nutritional, physiological, and environmental risk factors prior to premature drug therapy.

Donate

Book: THE AMERICAN EPIDEMIC

Give the gift of knowledge.
Help determine the cause
of behavioral challenges,
prior to drug therapy.
All proceeds donated to CAOOY.

Order your copy on Amazon.com here,
or get your autographed copy direct from the author via PayPal below.
Free shipping

Preview the CAOOY Educational DVD.

Select Book, DVD, or Combo:
Referred by:

Featured Article

"How Environmental Toxins Affect the Onset of ADHD"
by Frank J. Granett R.ph. featured on
USDailyReview.com

View article